Venting My Frustration

Saturday, October 4, 2008

With the 2008-2009 NHL regular season beginning today, I thought that I would post my first blog about my predictions about the season, who's going to come closer to Lord's Stanley Cup and who's going to be on the golf course early, or even the optimism I have for my favorite team, the Minnesota Wild, but after reading the Minneapolis Star Tribune's Michael Russo's article, I just needed place to vent my anger and frustration.

After trying for most of the offseason to get Marian Gaborik signed, the Wild's general manager Doug Risebrough has finally admitted that the two parties have come to a standstill on contract negotiations. It's been reported that Risebrough has been offering Gaborik contracts around the $8.5 million range, and yet he has not signed with Minnesota. So, what's the deal with not signing on the dotted line Gaby? Oh, you want to be paid what your worth, and what you're worth is over $9 million?

If Sidney Crosby, the poster boy for the NHL, is making around $8.7 million, and his partner in crime Malkin makes about the same as him, what make Gaborik think that he's worth more than them? Alexander Ovechkin makes $9.5 million, but he's Ovechkin. If some of the top forwards in the league like Hossa, Lecavalier, Thornton, and Iginla makes from $7-$8 million , what makes Gaborik think that he's worth more than they are? Of course Gaborik is a dynamic player, if there's any doubt in that just ask the New York Rangers, and he has the potential to become a star like Crosby and Ovechkin, but for a guy who just had his first full season since the Wild last went deep into the playoffs and who's often on the injured list under “groin problems” to be asking for Ovie money is preposterous. When you think of the top forwards in the NHL, who do you think of? You got Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Lecavalier, Iginla, Hossa, Thornton, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Getzlaf, and St. Louis. Where does Gaborik fit into those names? Top 5?, that's arguable, top 10?, I don't know. Most of the players on my list are proven superstars, and Gaborik just started shining last year.

At this point of my frustration as a Wild fan, I say trade him. If Gaborik is unwilling to take $8.5 million, and it's a good deal, don't try and sign him for $9 or over because at that point your just overpaying him. I'd rather get something for Gaborik then lose him for free like Rolston and Demitra.

With the season just about to begin and the Gaborik situation not resolved, it will be undoubtedly a big distraction in the Wild locker room, that's for sure.

~FOTW

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP