"Canada may have won this one, but it's still the US's hat"

Thursday, October 30, 2008

The only time that I cracked a smile after the first period was when I heard that line from Falness coming home from a 2-1 loss to the Montreal Canadiens. There were a good number of Habs fan in the house tonight, where usually you would only see a handful of opposing jersey in the stands, there were a handful of opposing jerseys to my right. I guess that's what kind of fan base you have when you've been around for 100 years.

Special Teams
It was Pouliot's holding penalty that Markov scores the go ahead goal, but it was ultimately the suspect slashing call on Mikko that allowed the 5-on-3 opportunity and the Habs opportunity to score the goal. Where was the powerplay in the second? With four 5-on-4 chances and three 5-on-3 chances in the second, the Wild weren't able to get any offense created. Now I understand that you want to pass the puck and get the perfect pass back to create more chance and wider shooting lanes, but what ever happened to sticking a body at the front of the net and throwing the puck at the net? If the Habs are going to march into the penalty box and leave their team shorthanded, why not take advantage of it?

Bench confusion?
I'm sitting in my seat, watching the second period of the game and I see that it's 4-on-4; well, why would this be a big deal? Because the Wild were on a powerplay. I never really notice how many players are on the ice when I'm at the game, or watching on TV (because you can't see the entire ice sheet), but after the third time of it being 4-on-4 when it should have been 5-on-4, I started to notice it more. Does this occur a lot in games, or is it just me?

Notes...
~ Funny, they do the "Let's Play Hockey" after they dropped the puck...refs must've been really anxious tonight.
~ I was hoping to go the whole season without seeing Nordy at the arena, but as I look to my right during the second intermission there he was on FSN ledge.
~ Owen Nolan was a scratched for tonight's game with a "lower body" injury...oh, and this new injury policy is getting on my nerves.
~I'll post more thoughts on the game after I digest the lost more.

Up Next: Saturday @ Phoenix, 9:00pm CT

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP